To achieve the goals of the American Legion, Cecil Cox Post 147 sponsors:
- Chaplain Services The Post 147 Chaplain is available to assist with Post ceremonies, and meetings. The Chaplain is not an ordained Clergyperson, but acts on behalf of the Veterans in “Duty to God and Country” affairs. She can provide guidance in identifying veteran memorial benefits. Click here for assistance.
- Veteran Services The Post 147 Service Officer can assist with Veteran concerns and refer Veterans to local services.click here for assistance.
- California Boy’s State Cecil Cox Post 147 each year sponsors five boys from the Clovis high schools to attend California Boys’ State. This is held each June at California State University in Sacramento. American Legion California Boys’ State is a leadership action program in which qualified male high school juniors take part in a practical government course. The course is designed to develop a working knowledge of the structure of government, and to impress in young citizens the fact that government is just what they make it.
- American Legion Oratorical Contests Post 147 sponsors students from the five high schools in American Legion Oratorical Contests. The subject revolves around the Constitution of the United States. The winner from the Post contest competes in the District 14 Oratorical contest. The winner continues on to State and the National contests.
- ROTC Awards & Scholarships Post 147 also presents awards for Military Excellence and Military Scholarship to four ROTC units. The Army, Navy, and Air Force ROTC outstanding cadets are selected each May.
- Youth Environmental Leadership Conference
- Boy Scouts of America
- American Legion Baseball
- Central California Veterans Home
- Operation Comfort Warrior
- Fresno Veterans Hospital
- Golden Age Games
- and more
Cecil Cox Post 147 also honors Memorial Day by co-sponsoring a memorial service with the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The ceremony takes place at the Clovis cemetery on Villa Avenue. The two posts place flags on veterans’ graves, with a special speaker and an avenue of flags that fly proudly at the cemetery.
Post 147 is able to sponsor these and other events by our three main fundraisers during the year: a concession booths at the Clovis Rodeo, and serving breakfast and lunch during Big Hat Days and Clovis Fest. Post 147 also accepts donations from individuals.